Accomplished technologist for over 15 years, with experience in many
environments: business, ISP, engineering, academic, consulting, and
Skilled in developer support, on-call duties, vendor relations, small
team management and general problem-solving. Comfortable discussing
system internals with engineers and summarizing results for management.
- Three Rings Design / Sega Networks, creators of fun, unique games.
- Infrastructure Engineering Manager, 2014 - 2015
- Infrastructure Engineer, 2009 - 2014
Design, extend, and maintain technical infrastructure for
multiple MMORPGs running on both physical hardware and cloud
instances. Provide all technology support services for 60+
people in three offices. Manage networks, security,
messaging, vendors, and backups. Transitioned from sole
Infrastructure Engineer for four years to manager of the
team of three sysadmins.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, defenders of civil liberties.
- Sr. System Administrator, 2008 - 2009
- System Administrator, 2005 - 2008
Responsible for providing all technology support services for
30-person non-profit civil liberties organization. Maintenance of
security and functionality of all servers, workstations, networks,
phones, email, and backups. Technology vendor management,
disaster planning, and some facility management. Obtained over
$70000 in service and equipment donations.
- Habeas, anti-spam solution provider.
- Technical Consultant, 2002 - 2004
System administration and maintenance; web development; general
technical consultation and implementation. Spam prevention,
tracking, and reporting.
- WireCache, Oracle acceleration technology.
- System Administration Manager, 2002
Supervision and management of junior sysadmin.
Administration and maintenance of FreeBSD, Linux, and
Windows network servers and engineering systems;
administration of VPN, firewall, backup system, email
systems, name and domain services.
Management of software licenses and client software.
General desktop support.
- Financial Finesse, financial education services.
- MIS/Systems Administration Manager, 2000 - 2001
Design, implementation, and maintenance of complete
computing infrastructure. VPN, firewall, and other
security measures. Email, file, web, domain services
- BSDi / Walnut Creek CDROM, FreeBSD production and sales.
- Consultant, 2000
Construction of documentation for FreeBSD operating system.
BSD advocacy. Project management, technical writing and
- eGroups, now part of Yahoo!, hosted mailing list software.
- Unix Systems Administrator, 1999
Care and feeding of a rapidly-expanding group of Linux and
FreeBSD servers in a fast-paced Internet startup environment.
- ISP Channel, traditional and cable modem Internet service provider.
- Unix Systems Administrator, 1998 - 1999
Administration of FreeBSD, Solaris, and Windows NT
servers for a nationwide broadband Internet service provider.
- The FreeBSD Project, developers of an open-source operating system
- Documentation Committer, 2000 - 2007
Writing and editing FreeBSD documentation.
- Daemon News, BSD Unix community support
- Chief Technical Officer (unpaid position), 1999 - 2004
- Managing Editor (unpaid position), 1998 - 2003
Guidance in implementation of new technologies; system
administration and maintenance; management of volunteer staff;
publication of monthly ezine, print periodical, and daily news
site; tasks multitudinous and sundry.
- BSDCon 2003, a USENIX technical conference
- Program Committee member
Review submitted papers; select papers to be presented.
- Burning Man, an annual participant sponsored, participant created event
- Sysadmin Team member, 2002
Specification and construction of Burning Man web server.
Technical advising and general system administration work.
- Operating Systems:
- Extensive experience with FreeBSD, Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora),
Mac OS X, Windows. Familiar with NetBSD, OpenBSD, Solaris.
- System Administration:
- Experienced with cloud virtualization (AWS), performance tuning,
strong security measures, DNS, backup systems, mail handling, web services,
management of high-density colocation environments.
- Programs, Services, Languages:
- Python, PHP, Perl, sh;
git, hg, SVN, CVS;
SMTP, Postfix, Sendmail, procmail, anti-spam techniques;
firewalls, IPSec, OpenVPN, SSH, PGP;
TCP/IP, NFS, rsync, dump/restore;
BIND, DHCP, Samba, XMPP, LDAP;
MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite;
nginx, haproxy, memcached, apache, squid,
and many more.
- Pennsylvania State University
- Bachelor of Science, Geography, 1997
- Science, Technology, and Society Minor
Relevant coursework: C, C++, 68k assembly,
technical ethics, network mapping, 2 years of forgotten higher math
$Id: resume.html,v 2.56 2016/12/12 23:01:44 gsutter Exp $